Sunday, April 28, 2013

Hello, Coupons

I was recently compared to a doomsday prepper after a guest saw my pantry. I wasn't sure if I should be offended or something else. Upon further consideration, I am proud. I'm not trying to prepare for a potential zombie apocalypse, but if there were one, I'd have enough instant oatmeal and chicken breast meat to last my family 3 months.

I am a couponer. Not to the extreme. I don't clear shelves, and I sure as heck do not buy extra computers so I can print more coupons. I do however buy things when they are on sale. I try to buy enough of those things to last me until they are on sale again. I used to spend close to $150 a week on groceries. Thanks to couponing, planning, and stockpiling, I've got that down to about $40 a week. That includes fresh produce, milk, eggs, and replenishing my pantry/freezer with sale items.

I snagged some pretty good deals today, so I thought I'd break it down to show just how easy saving money is. This is just a taste of what I got:


Right Guard Xtreme Deoderant - Reg $2.81, Sale $1.40 - $1.50 coupon = They paid me 10 cents to take each one home
Texas Toast - Reg $3.65, Sale $1.82 - 50 cent coupon (store doubled the coupon to $1) = 82 cents each
Quaker Chewy Yogurt Bars - Reg $2.33, Sale $1.17 - 75 cent coupon = 42 cents
Quaker Real Medleys Cup - Reg $1.79, Sale $0.89 - 50 cent coupon (store doubled the coupon to $1) = They paid me 11 cents to take it home
Brookside Acai Chocolates - Reg $4.49, Sale $3.50 - $2.50 store coupon - $1 manufacturer coupon = FREE
Almay Eyeshadow - Reg $8.49 each, BOGO 50% sale makes it $12.43 for both - 2 $4 coupons = $4.43 for both, or $2.22 each

Total Retail Value - $50.30
Paid - $7.83

Also, not pictured, I bought two boxes of Quaker Instant Oatmeal that were 50% off for a total of $3.05. Then I had a coupon for $3 off fruit when you buy two boxes of Quaker Instant Oatmeal so I was able to get a package of strawberries and a bundle of bananas totally free.

No comments:

Post a Comment