We were never those crazy people who had 20 pacis strewn about the house. We had two and only two. She started off with two baby ones and then was graduated to 2 toddler ones. We have never lost a paci.
Adrianna has not had her pacis out of her crib in almost 2 years (except emergencies like meetings at daddy's work and doctor visits with lots of shots), but we have allowed her to keep it at night. It's a habit we should've broken a long time ago but she's always been such a good sleeper that we didn't want to mess with it. I wasn't worried about it damaging her teeth because she'd only suck on them for about 5 minutes per night before falling asleep and then would spit it out.
But it was time. Even Adrianna knew it. Just as she has chewed holes in her sippy cup straws, she chewed holes in her pacis. I decided long ago that once they were either lost or damaged, they would not be replaced. That time has come.
| You can see the giant holes she chewed in them |
So her pacis magically *poofed* out of her crib one day never to be seen again. The first few sleeps she was pretty ticked off. Even tonight she asked me where they were and when I told her they were in the garbage I could see her heart breaking. I know she will be alright.
It was time.
Ode to a Paci
by: Me
Always there.
Long nights,
quiet nights.
Upside down,
on the ground.
Comfort and safety,
no longer a baby.
Goodbye, my friend.
And now I will leave you with a photo journal of some of my favorite paci moments...
| When it was bigger than her tiny hand |
![]() |
| When I was all she knew |
![]() |
| When she wasn't happy unless it was in upside-down |
And a shout out to little sister Natalie, who won't be getting her own post of this sort because she ditched the paci at 3 months...




Bye bye paci! We've already got 6-10... oops.
ReplyDelete