Saturday, June 9, 2012

Birth Story

6/6/12 – I spent the day like any other… complaining about being huge and pregnant. That night I laid in bed, pregnancy insomnia and all, thinking about how I forgot to take my weekly bump pic (that’s ok, I’ll just take it tomorrow!) and how if I went into labor I wonder which doctor will be on call.

6/7/12 – I woke up around 6:30am and went to the bathroom. When I laid back down in bed I immediately felt a contraction. No big deal, I’ve been getting random ones here and there for a while. I checked the time, just in case. Ten minutes later, another one. Ten more minutes, ANOTHER one. I decided to text Erik at work to let him know to keep his phone close by just in case. I stayed in bed timing contractions until Adrianna woke up around 7:15. By this point they were 7 minutes apart. I got her dressed for the day and gave her her morning sippy of milk. This is when I had a contraction after only 5 minutes. I texted Erik again and told him that if he wasn’t doing anything super important at work that he should probably head home.

I (very slowly) worked on finishing up with packing my hospital bag and getting Adrianna some breakfast. I texted our sitter to let her know that we were going to head to the hospital shortly and that she should plan on meeting us there to pick up Adrianna if we get admitted. Erik got home around 9, got the car packed up, and we were on our way! I was still kind of in denial at this point. My contractions were still around 5-7 minutes apart and not lasting super long like they did with A. I decided not to call the hospital until we got closer just in case they died off. Well, they picked up to 3-4 minutes apart, and I completely forgot to call.

We got to L&D around 10:15am and I could tell that they were skeptical of whether I was in labor or not. I was still in pretty good spirits, so they put me into a Triage room to monitor me and start with their 500 questions for admission. The nurse checked me and I was 5-6cm, 90% effaced and baby was at zero station. We were there to stay! It turns out that they were insanely busy and we got the very last room.

They ordered my epidural right away so I didn’t have to wait very long. Adrianna was a total angel and nicely sat with daddy the whole time. The doctor seemed to have done it differently than last time. It was a much lower dosage. The pain was still gone, but I could wiggle my legs a bit and I still felt the pressure of every contraction. The nurse checked me again and I was 6-7cm dilated and fully effaced. Our sitter arrived at this point (11:54) so Erik brought Adrianna out to her.

Shortly after he got back, the on call OB came in to check on. It was my doctor!!! I was so excited. I’ve been seeing her for pregnancy appointments for two years and finally she gets to deliver one of my babies! She broke my water at 12:50pm, checked me again, and I was 8cm. I knew that once they broke my water it would go very quickly from there. I felt a ton of pressure right away and after a couple of contractions I called the nurse back in. She checked me and I was complete and baby was at +3 station.

It was an immediate frenzy in our room with nurses trying to get the bed broken down and everything prepared. I pushed through 2 contractions (4 times total) and Natalie Noelle was born at 1:20pm. She weighed in at 8lbs 5oz and was 20 inches long. Her head is perfectly round thanks to my fast labor.


Big baby!


Mommy and baby


Proud daddy


Little Natalie


Sisters meeting for the first time


It's a girl!!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful story- that's would I would like first birth be like also, please? Haha- you are a trooper anyways! You make being a mom seem easy :-)

    ReplyDelete