Ah yes, another big transition we've been putting off (well kinda sorta)... potty training! I think I've mentioned potty training here before and that Adrianna wasn't ready for it. Now that I've gone through the whole process, I am a firm believer that they'll do it when they're ready.
I have two close friends whose girls were born in the same month as Adrianna. They've been potty trained for over a year. For a while I was embarrassed, wondering what I was doing wrong for her to be "behind". Her 3 year doctor visit made me feel much better about things and from that point I just kind of let the subject go. We had a potty seat and if Adrianna wanted to use it she could, if she didn't then she didn't. For a very long time, she didn't. And that's ok.
When we got here to our new house I gave the kids a tour of the place. "This is the dining room where we'll have a table and eat food", "This is your new bed room, you're going to sleep together now!", and "This is your bathroom". The last one seemed to have struck a chord with Adrianna. She had her very own bathroom (well, not quite all hers, it's for Natalie eventually and also guests, but a 3 year old doesn't need to know all that). That night before we went to bed she said she wanted to go potty. Well that was random, but ok. It happened again the next night. The day after that we went out and bought some Disney princess panties and man was she thrilled. Screw diapers, Princess Sofia and Doc McStuffins is where it's at!
There were accidents, a lot of them at first, but there was no resistance and that is what we had been going for. She wanted to do it and we helped her. By waiting until she was ready, it was easy. Now we are day time potty trained and it is fantastic.

Yay! So glad it was easy and I'm all for doing things when its right for the kiddos!
ReplyDelete